Winning Scholarships: 9 Tips to Maximize Your Time and Energy
06/30/2016 Published by: Amy Soupene
These beautiful summer days seem to stretch on forever. It’s terrific to get a little more sleep and have more flexibility in your schedule. But don’t let these lazy days lull you into inactivity. Take advantage of the time you have now to do some scholarship searches.
During the school year you are busy with all your activities and school work, I get it. But now you have a bit of a break. Why not search for some scholarships and send out applications?
Where can you look to find a reliable list of scholarships? The SchoolQuest Scholarship Finder is at your fingertips. We have contracted with RSP Funding Finder to offer the best information at no cost to you! Simply go to SchoolQuest.org and create a free account. Then you can conduct as many searches as you want. When you find interesting scholarships, favorite them so you can pace yourself.
Searching and filling out scholarship applications can be challenging and time-consuming. But it is also very worthwhile if you are awarded money to use towards your education.
Some tips to make your search easier:
- Allow a certain amount of time to work on scholarships each day.
- Break up your search into manageable chunks.
- Spend one day on finding all the scholarships you are interested in.
- On another day, arrange them according to filing date. A late submission is not considered, no matter how spectacular it may be.
- Go through your list and see what you’ll need to gather. Perhaps you’ll need letters of reference, don’t wait until the last minute to ask for those! Or maybe you’ll need to write an essay or compile samples of your work that showcase your ability in this area.
- Make a list of reliable references you can ask for letters of reference. Contact these people and politely ask for a letter reference. Give them time to write the letters. Make sure to read any stipulations, some applications require the letter to be in a sealed envelope with the reference’s signature on the seal.
- Sit down and write out 2-3 different essays that are rather basic. Tell of your accomplishments, don’t exaggerate but don’t sell yourself short either! Then as you need these essays on scholarships you can plug in the appropriate one and tweak it accordingly.
- For each application, ensure that you read all requirements thoroughly and follow these to the letter. Scholarship committees get a lot of requests and the very easiest ones to weed out are those that did not follow directions.
- As you are searching for scholarships, don’t forget to look locally. Sometimes there are organizations in the community that have funds set aside for scholarships, talk to your guidance counselor about any overlooked scholarships that may be out there, if your parents are members of any clubs inquire about scholarship opportunities.
It seems like a lot of work, I know. The best thing about scholarships though, is that they are free money. You may be given a significant amount of funds to use towards your education and you don’t have to pay it back. It is yours to use for your successful future.
Why not get started right now? Search for Scholarships!
I wish you the best of luck!
***Help us get the word out about SchoolQuest™ by liking us on Facebook! Please visit our Homeroom on-line community and join the discussion. We’d love to hear what your thoughts are about this important topic! SchoolQuest™ is an initiative of the Military Child Education Coalition® (MCEC®). Follow us on the MCEC® Twitter feed . . . for the sake of the child!Share This Page
Leave a Comment
- Moving to a New School
- Your Child's Ages & Stages
- Student 2 Student Programs Worldwide
- Transition to College
- Special Topics
- Extra Resource Documents
- Why Sponsor S2S?
- Revealing the Secrets of Successful Military Parents
- Instant Friends – Is it Possible?
College Prep Toolbox
Find out what the GI Bill can do for you
Free ACT/SAT prep
Free SAT Prep
SAT/ACT prep free for military families
Helping high school students with both high school and college prep materials.
Plan for your bright future using the information and resources found here.
Research the best options for you