Tool Kits & Resources for Professionals Working with the Children of Deployed Military
07/14/2012 Published by: Suzanne
Do you have occasion to work with military-connected students who have a deployed parent, or a parent in transition due to military service? SchoolQuest.org™ and the Military Child Education Coalition (MCEC)® would like to bring two valuable resources to your attention.
Developed by the Home Base Program in collaboration with the Massachusetts Child Psychiatry Access Project (McPAP), they have put together two kits aimed at “Keeping Military Children Healthy”:
- Toolkit for the Well-Child Screening of Military Children - Designed to help medical professionals identify and address deployment-related stress.
- School Nurse Tool Kit to Increase Awareness and Support for Military-Connected Children - Designed to better address the emotional needs of military-connected children and families in school systems, this kit includes: a primer on military terminology, suggestions for starting a conversation with a military-connected child about their parent’s deployment, classroom behavior checklists and parenting tips about coping with deployment and home coming challenges.
Developed by the Veteran’s Support Foundation, the Department of Defense Education Activity, AASA Past President Randy Collins and Linda Spoonster Schwartz (Commissioner of the State of Connecticut Department of Veterans’ Affairs), they have created the:
- AASA Supporting the Military Child Toolkit - Designed to offer guidance for school leaders on meeting the unique educational needs of children whose parents are deployed or in transition, this kit includes: the top 15 things school leaders can do to support military children, a fact sheet on the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children, information about Impact-Aid funding for districts and more!
Leave a Comment
- Moving to a New School
- Your Child's Ages & Stages
- Student 2 Student Programs Worldwide
- Transition to College
- Special Topics
- Extra Resource Documents
- Why Sponsor S2S?
- Revealing the Secrets of Successful Military Parents
- Instant Friends – Is it Possible?
College Prep Toolbox
Find out what the GI Bill can do for you
Free ACT/SAT prep
Free SAT Prep
SAT/ACT prep free for military families
Helping high school students with both high school and college prep materials.
Plan for your bright future using the information and resources found here.
Research the best options for you