Military Student Transition Consultant Program
09/15/2011 Published by: Suzanne
Over the years, the Military Child Education Coalition (MCEC)® and the Army have enjoyed many partnerships. Their most recent initiative is the Military Student Transition Consultant (MSTC) program. Heading up this initiative is Bill Lawson of the Military Child Education Coalition®.
What is it?
- An initiative underwritten by the Army and organized by the Military Child Education Coalition (MCEC)®.
- A collaborative effort to address the needs and challenges faced by military families dealing with transitions, deployments and reintegration issues.
When did it begin?
- This program kicked off in June of 2011 with a week-long training at MCEC’s® annual conference in Nashville, TN.
Where are the MSTC’s Located?
This pilot program is embedded in 7 public school districts serving large populations of students from military families:
- Socorro Independent School District (Fort Bliss, TX)
- Vernon Parish School system (Fort Polk, LA)
- Liberty County School System (Fort Stewart, GA)
- Muscogee County School District (Fort Benning, GA)
- Copperas Cove Independent School District (Fort Hood, TX)
- Steilacoom Historical School District (Fort Lewis, WA)
- Fairbanks North Star Borough School District (Fort Wainwright, AK)
What have these consultants been doing so far?
- Setting up their offices
- Introducing themselves to school and installation personnel
- Meeting new families at school and installation functions
- Assisting schools and families with reintegration and transition issues
- Creating informational brochures for incoming military families
- Setting up information tables at school and installation events
- Giving interviews to installation newspapers and local media
- Initiating training for school faculties regarding the unique needs of military children
- Assisting families with registration-related issues such as transcript evaluations, transfer of credits, school extracurricular involvement and special needs eligibility
- Assisting school personnel in creating a seamless, positive military student transition experience
As the awareness of the MSTC program grows in each of the 7 school sites across the country, more and more families will be able to access one more valuable resource made available through the continued efforts of the Army and MCEC®. Although the challenges faced by military families – and certainly the children who are a central part of their parents’ service to the country – continue to exist and magnify over time, one more program that families can count on is now in place. The MSTC program is off and running – and making a difference ". . . for the sake of the child!”™Share This Page
Leave a Comment
- Moving to a New School
- Your Child's Ages & Stages
- Student 2 Student Programs Worldwide
- Transition to College
- Special Topics
- Extra Resource Documents
- Why Sponsor S2S?
- Revealing the Secrets of Successful Military Parents
- Instant Friends – Is it Possible?
College Prep Toolbox
Find out what the GI Bill can do for you
Free ACT/SAT prep
Free SAT Prep
SAT/ACT prep free for military families
Helping high school students with both high school and college prep materials.
Plan for your bright future using the information and resources found here.
Research the best options for you