Military Interstate Children’s Compact Commission (MIC3) - An Update
12/27/2013 Published by: Suzanne
It’s no secret that military-connected children face transitions on a regular basis . . . moving and changing schools, dealing with one parent’s deployment (or both!), etc. With this in mind, the Military Child Education Coalition® (MCEC®), SchoolQuest.org’s™ parent organization, was created with a mission “to ensure inclusive, quality educational experiences for all military-connected children affected by mobility, family separation and transition”.
You first heard from us regarding the Military Interstate Children’s Compact back in January of 2011 in our blog entry, “The Military Interstate Children’s Compact and how it pertains to you!” Also created to ease the transition of moving for military families, the Compact strives for consistency in the areas of attendance, placement, enrollment, eligibility and graduation (among other things) in those states that choose to join the Compact.
More Facts about the Compact:
- The Compact offers assistance to: Children of active duty members of the uniformed services, National Guard and Reserve on active duty orders, and member or veterans who are medically discharged or retired for one year.
- As of March 2013, the Compact has been adopted by 44 states and the District of Columbia affecting approximately 96% of the military school-aged children in the United States. Check out MIC3’s interactive map to see which states have or haven’t adopted the Compact.
- The Compact is different from the Common Core State Standards in that the Compact deals with transition issues whereas the Common Core Standards deal with what students across the country learn in each school grade in the areas of Math and English.
More details on the Military Interstate Children’s Compact and the Military Interstate Children’s Compact Commission can be found in our SchoolQuest.org™ Library and on the MIC3 website where you can find an easy to follow two-page document highlighting more specifics about the Compact.
**Help us get the word out about SchoolQuest.org™ by liking us on Facebook! SchoolQuest.org™ is an initiative of the Military Child Education Coalition® (MCEC®). Follow us on the MCEC® Twitter feed . . . for the sake of the child!Share This Page
Leave a Comment
- Moving to a New School
- Your Child's Ages & Stages
- Student 2 Student Programs Worldwide
- Transition to College
- Special Topics
- Extra Resource Documents
- Why Sponsor S2S?
- Revealing the Secrets of Successful Military Parents
- Instant Friends – Is it Possible?
College Prep Toolbox
Find out what the GI Bill can do for you
Free ACT/SAT prep
Free SAT Prep
SAT/ACT prep free for military families
Helping high school students with both high school and college prep materials.
Plan for your bright future using the information and resources found here.
Research the best options for you